Thank God for second chances

 A weird sense of humor can sometimes get you in trouble. 

My first date with Janet was a simple dinner at a friend's house. Things seemed to be going well until the ride home.

We were driving up the Pali highway on Oahu. My dorm was on this side of the mountain and hers was on the other side. As we approached my dorm, I asked Janet if she had a quarter. She said "yes, why?" I said, "I'm kind of tired and I thought you could take the bus home." (It was only a quarter to ride the bus in those days.) 

Of course, I was kidding, but Janet (not familiar with my sense of humor) didn't think it was funny. Since I said it with a straight face, she thought I might be serious. It was a quiet ride from then on. I dropped her at the girls' dorm and said good night. When the girls asked her how the date was, she said, "I'm never going out with him again." 

Since we've now been married 49 years it's obvious that we went out again. How did that happen? Not knowing that she'd decided not to go out with me again, I asked her on a second date. It was to the national championship for barbershop quartets in Honolulu. Janet thought that sounded interesting, and she wanted to go to the event, even if it was with me! I was merely a free ticket to get in. If I had asked her to dinner or a movie we might not be enjoying 9 grandchildren today. 

Somehow, I did better on this date and we became a regular couple. Thank God for second chances. 

When Peter denied Jesus 3 times he wept bitterly. He may have thought that his relationship with Jesus was over. In John chapter 21 Jesus gave Peter a second chance. He asked Peter - 3 times - "Do you love me?" 

Peter was hurt because Jesus asked him the third time, “Do you love me?” John 21:17

He was hurt because he knew Jesus asked him 3 times to cover the 3 times he had denied him. Jesus was letting Peter know that he was forgiving him for each of his 3 denials.

When Jonah disobeyed God and tried to run away, God provided a large fish to give him a second chance.

God's grace is amazing!  He not only gives us second chances, but he also gives us third, fourth, fifth...

When Jesus taught his disciples about forgiveness, he said, 

“If your brother or sister sins against you, rebuke them; and if they repent, forgive them. Even if they sin against you seven times in a day and seven times come back to you saying ‘I repent,’ you must forgive them.” Luke 17:3–4

God's grace is amazing! 1 John 1:9 doesn't put a limit on God's grace. 

If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.

Because we've experienced God's amazing grace, we are inspired to be gracious to others.

Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. Colossians 3:13

*************************************

Click the blue Follow button above to be 
notified when new posts are available.




No comments: