We are somebodies

Who are those people? Since our son, Scott, is a private pilot, we would occasionally be at private airports. I would watch these expensive private jets land and the passengers deplane, and I would wonder who these people are who can afford such luxury. They must be somebodies!

Then one day Scott had an empty flight and got permission from the owner to let us fly with him. Such luxury! The inside of the plane was beautiful! Fancy chairs and couches, fully stocked drink and food bar, beautiful carpet and woodwork. It was a short flight but quite the experience. 

When we landed it was our turn to deplane and have people wonder who we are! As I walked down the stairs onto the tarmac, I must admit that, even though far from the truth, I felt like a somebody!  

I had a similar experience when I was given an opportunity to drive a great looking gold Mercedes sports coupe for an outing. I felt like a different person. I was imagining other drivers looking at me like a somebody, and I could understand why it's tempting to spend an exorbitant amount of money on a car to make you feel like a somebody and to impress people. 

How easy it is to be puffed up with pride. 

If anyone thinks they are something when they are not, they deceive themselves. Galatians 6:3

Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the faith God has distributed to each of you. Romans 12:3

As followers of Jesus, we must have the same attitude as John the Baptist who said, He [Jesus] must become greater; I must become less.” John 3:30

Our focus must shift from ourselves to others.

Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others. Philippians 2:3–4

No one should seek their own good, but the good of others.
1 Corinthians 10:24

Rather than seeking to be a somebody, we should rejoice that we belong to Somebody.

See what great love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are! The reason the world does not know us is that it did not know him. Dear friends, now we are children of God, and what we will be has not yet been made known. But we know that when Christ appears, we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is. 1 John 3:1–2

To be a child of God is far better than being the most important somebody in this world.


*************************************

Click the blue Follow button above to be 
notified when new posts are available.

2 comments:

Sue Leighton said...

Amen. Temptation is strong, but our God is stronger. 🙌

Linda Harris said...

Yes, amen. Children of the King!