Mistakes


Wouldn't be nice if you never made a mistake? Of course, that's impossible for everyone except God. Mistakes can cause frustration, loss of time and money, embarrassment, emotional pain, damage to relationships and more.

I had my share of frustration and embarrassment in trying to learn Japanese. Japanese is ranked the 2nd-most difficult language in the world (after Navajo). Most were simple grammatical errors, but some go beyond that. 

I remember (though I'd like to forget) in my first year in Japan I was asked to say a prayer in the evening service in the Japanese church we were attending. I declined a few times, but they kept asking. Finally, I agreed. I figured I had all afternoon to work on a brief prayer. Wrong.

After lunch I started to work on a prayer. Then there was a knock on the door. Some good friends surprised us with a visit and stayed until church time. I ineffectively tried to work on the prayer in my head during gaps in the conversations - which were few. I was very tempted to back out of praying, but they were counting on me. 

I was very nervous as I stood up to pray my short prayer. I was in the middle of the prayer when a lady in the congregation burst out with a loud laugh - which she quickly stifled. I didn't open my eyes to see how many others were struggling to hold back laughs. I finished the prayer quickly and sat down, wondering what in the world I had said.

As soon as church was over, I asked a number of people to tell me what I had said. They all smiled shyly, shook their heads and refused. To this day I still have no idea what I said. Maybe when I get to heaven someone will fess up, or even the Lord, who knows all things will enlighten me (although it may be best that I don't know! I'll just have to be curious for eternity.)

Although there were many other Japanese language mistakes over the years (I never got past the frequent-mistake mode) I'll mention another brief one. We lived for a while in an apartment above a beauty shop. The beauty shop owner was our landlord. At one point she promised to get us a storage unit that was needed. After a few weeks had passed I ran into her outside our apartment. I meant to ask her when the storage unit would be put in. Instead, I asked this woman in her 40's, when she was going to put in false teeth! She looked startled and confused for a minute, then she smiled and figured out the similarities between the words. I didn't realize what I had said until I checked a dictionary later. 😕

One of the tragedies of mistakes, intentional or unintentional, is that they end up hurting someone we love. This is why the Bible often gives advice (and commands) about how to maintain good relationships. 

Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. Colossians 3:13

Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins. 1 Peter 4:8

Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love. Ephesians 4:2

If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. Romans 12:18

Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Ephesians 4:29

Accept one another, then, just as Christ accepted you (while we were still sinners!), in order to bring praise to God. Romans 15:7 

Forgiveness and reconciliation are so important to maintain good relationships and avoid becoming bitter or hardened. 
God knows this and demonstrates his love through amazing grace and patience. "Go and do likewise."

*************************************

Click the blue Follow button above to be 
notified when new posts are available.

No comments: