I was still unsure of what I wanted to do for a career. One thought was to follow in my uncle's footsteps. Uncle Lute was a basketball coach. I thought it would be good if I could coach basketball and teach at a high school.
I checked out the class catalogue at Orange Coast College in Costa Mesa, CA. I only had enough money at the time for 2 classes. I chose psychology for one and then started looking for something in physical education.
I got excited when I saw a class called "Beach Skills!" I thought, wow, I can get college credits while playing on the beach. It was described as "instruction in beach volleyball, body surfing, frisbee throwing..." (Seriously, this was an actual class in the 1970's. I checked the present-day offerings, and it no longer exists.) 😓
I tried to sign up for that class only to find out it was full. (I was late in the sign-up process.) I needed a Phys. Ed. class for my degree, so I kept looking through other classes. A few sounded good but were also full. It turned out that the only class open was weightlifting! Although I doubted I would enjoy it, I was a skinny kid who could definitely use more muscle!
The life doesn't exist where everything goes as planned. Let me repeat that. The life doesn't exist where everything goes as planned. There's an interesting verse in Proverbs:
A person’s steps are directed by the LORD. How then can anyone understand their own way? Proverbs 20:24
No one can understand their own way, and many are frustrated with how their lives are turning out. They struggle with trying to make things turn out the way they plan them but refuse to allow God to be the one in control.
Jeremiah said, "LORD, I know that people’s lives are not their own; it is not for them to direct their steps." Jeremiah 10:23
Only those who surrender their will to God will ever experience the life God has for them. Jesus said, "I have come that they may life to the full."
God promises to guide us if we will let him.

No comments:
Post a Comment