Litterer & Liar


 Have you ever been misjudged or falsely accused of something you didn't do or say? There was a time this happened to me, and I'm still upset about it even though it happened over 50 years ago! I was in Junior High school and was riding my bike home with a couple friends. We were in single file, and I was at the back. My friend, Lyle was in front of me and was eating a snack as he rode. When he finished, he tossed the wrapper over his shoulder. The wind caught it and blew it right into my face. Surprised and not knowing what hit me I instinctively brushed it off and it blew behind me. 

Behind me, driving in his car, was my history teacher. From his perspective it looked like I had tossed the trash over my shoulder. He pulled me over and accused me of littering. He told me to go back and pick it up. I said, "Sir, I'll go back and pick it up, but it wasn't my trash. He got an incredulous look on his face and loudly said, "Don't lie to me! I saw you throw it!" I said again, "Sir, I will pick it up, but it wasn't my trash." I didn't want to snitch on my friend.  He shook his head in disbelief and drove off. 

Lyle came back and asked me what was that all about. I told him and hoped for a mature response like, "I'm sorry I got you in trouble. Tomorrow I'll talk to the teacher and let him know the truth." Lyle just laughed. Junior High school maturity is just another oxymoron. 

As I continued my ride home, I became more and more angry. I wondered to how many people this teacher would relay this story, and if he would include my name. I recently had made a decision to accept Jesus as my savior and to live for him and was not shy in letting people know this. I wanted to begin to practice the verse that says, "Let your light shine before men that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in Heaven." I wondered how many people would instead see me as a hypocrite - a litterer and a liar. 

I still get upset when I think about this. I hope that teacher will be in heaven so I can let him know the truth! I wonder if there will be others in heaven who knew about this incident and think, "Look, even litterers and liars can be saved!"

It's hard to deal with criticism, false accusations and being misjudged. We want to defend ourselves and set the record straight. We need to follow the example of Jesus and Paul. Take a moment and think about these verses. 

Jesus was misjudged, slandered, and falsely accused. Matthew 11:18–19 For John came neither eating nor drinking, and they say, ‘He has a demon.’  The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, ‘Here is a glutton and a drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and sinners.’ But wisdom is proved right by her deeds.”

Isaiah 53:7 He was oppressed and afflicted, yet he did not open his mouth; he was led like a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before its shearers is silent, so he did not open his mouth.

1 Peter 2:23 When they hurled their insults at him, he did not retaliate; when he suffered, he made no threats. Instead, he entrusted himself to him who judges justly.

1 Corinthians 4:12–13 When we are cursed, we bless; when we are persecuted, we endure it; when we are slandered, we answer kindly. We have become the scum of the earth, the garbage of the world—right up to this moment.

*************************************

Click the blue Follow button above to be 
notified when new posts are available.

No comments: