Convicted of stealing

 
In 1984 I was preparing a sermon that included the subject of stealing. I was silently congratulating myself on not being thief, when a little voice inside my head said, "Oh, yes you are!" Then the memory popped into my head of a time I robbed a 7/11 store in Costa Mesa, California. 

I was in Junior High school when I thought of a clever way to steal some Twinkies - my #1 favorite snack. I had money and didn't need to steal, but I got this idea for a foolproof robbery and was tempted to try it out. (Please don't share this story with your young children. I would hate to tempt them to try it.)

It was a typical day after school when a bunch of students from my school would hit the 7/11 down the street. It was a busy time in an under-staffed store. I grabbed a package of two Twinkies along with another item (I forget what it was) and walked up to the checkout. 

I placed the other item on the counter but held the Twinkies in my other hand, in plain sight, like I had already bought them. If the store clerk had asked me about them, I probably would have paid for them. (This was why I considered it foolproof. I wasn't hiding them in a pocket or appearing to be a shoplifter. I wouldn't have gotten in trouble if I paid for it, but if he didn't ask about then I would escape with my booty). 

Successfully through the checkout I had no need to run away. I sat in front of the store and celebrated my victory by happily consuming a couple of Twinkies. (This must have been before I gave my life to Christ because I felt no guilt at all. I actually was proud that my idea worked).

The Bible passage I was studying for my sermon that Sunday mentioned the need for a thief, when caught, was required to pay back 2 to 5 times as much as was stolen. (Exodus 2:1-4.)  

The Lord convicted me that I should repay that debt. As I preached that Sunday in our church on Maui, I relayed this story and said that this week I was going to send money to that 7/11 including (what I determined) was 18 years of interest! I had a good friend, Lora Finch, who lived near that store and would take the money and the explanation there. 

The next week a surprising thing happened. A woman in our church, Susan Rau, came up to me after the service, and asked if I followed through and sent that money. I was able to say I did. She then took a couple Twinkies out of her purse and said with a smile, "Eat these in good conscience!" 

Numbers 32:23 says, "...you may be sure that your sin will find you out."


We must not be delinquent in confession and repentance

Hebrews 4:13 Nothing in all creation is hidden from God’s sight. Everything is uncovered and laid bare before the eyes of him to whom we must give account.
 
Whoever conceals their sins does not prosper, but the one who confesses and renounces them finds mercy. Proverbs 28:13

One of the loving acts of the Holy Spirit is to convict us of our sin. This is why it is important to often pray this prayer: 

Search me, God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts.  See if there is any offensive way in me and lead me in the way everlasting. Psalm 139:23–24

*************************************

Click the blue Follow button above to be 
notified when new posts are available.


No comments: