Verses that keep me going - John 14:2-3

 It's fun sometimes to browse the internet to look at beautiful houses and floor plans. Even though they're way beyond our budget, it's fun to dream. 


I'm not saying that's wrong but there is a verse that encourages us to broaden our "dreaming" to a higher level.

Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things.
Colossians 3:2

When it comes to thinking on things above, I like to think about what Jesus said to his disciples (which includes all his followers.)

My Father’s house has many rooms; if that were not so, would I have told you that I am going there to prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. John 14:2–3

Janet once said to me, "Think about this - God created the universe in 6 days, but Jesus has been working on our "room" for over 2000 years!

That was definitely motivation to set my mind on things above! Whatever He's preparing it will far better than the fanciest, most expensive home on earth! And it won't cost us a shekel - it will be his gracious gift. 

Will it have a garden? Will it have a garage - and what would we park in it. How about automatic climate control. We won't need a security system. My personal hope it that it won't have a bathroom because our new bodies will be able to fully process food without waste.

When I was younger, to help pay for college and seminary, I did a lot of house painting. I actually enjoyed it, and because most people don't, there was always plenty of jobs available. I wouldn't mind having to paint my "room" in heaven, but I have a feeling there won't be a need.

All these people were still living by faith when they died. They did not receive the things promised; they only saw them and welcomed them from a distance, admitting that they were foreigners and strangers on earth. People who say such things show that they are looking for a country of their own. If they had been thinking of the country they had left, they would have had opportunity to return. Instead, they were longing for a better country—a heavenly one. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God, for he has prepared a city for them. Hebrews 11:13–16

 For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal. 2 Corinthians 4:17–18

It's fun to imagine what it might be like. The only guarantee is that we won't be disappointed - and we'll be extremely grateful. 

However, as it is written: “What no eye has seen, what no ear has heard, and what no human mind has conceived”— the things God has prepared for those who love him— 
 1 Corinthians 2:9

No comments: