Here is a verse that impresses me and challenges me.
As for us, we cannot help speaking about what we have seen and heard.” Acts 4:20I have great admiration for the disciples who despite threats and persecution would not, could not, stop telling others about Jesus. Even though I've had no threats or persecution I don't have as strong of commitment as these early disciples.
As for us, we cannot help speaking about what we have seen and heard.” Acts 4:20I have great admiration for the disciples who despite threats and persecution would not, could not, stop telling others about Jesus. Even though I've had no threats or persecution I don't have as strong of commitment as these early disciples.
- Jesus and Christianity are often made fun of in shows, movies and social media. Christians are made out to be hypocrites, fanatics, misguided or out of touch with reality.
- There's an unwritten law that says it's impolite to talk about religion or politics.
- There's a fear of being rejected or made fun of.
- There's a fear of others thinking you're coming across as "holier than thou" and being judgmental.
- There's a fear of inadequacy - that you'll not do a good job or that they'll ask a question you don't know how to answer.
Pray also for me, 8hat whenever I speak, words may be given me so that I will fearlessly make known the mystery of the gospel. Ephesians 6:19
In some cases people are just too busy to invest the time and energy it takes to lead others to Jesus and disciple them.
We tend to forget that the great commission is not just for Jesus' disciples, but for all of us.
Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.” Matthew 28:19–20
But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect. 1 Peter 3:15
This verse simply says be ready to "tell your story." No one can argue with your personal testimony. That's what woman at the well did, and she wasn't even a Christian yet. And her "story" resulted in many people from her village getting saved.
Be wise in the way you act toward outsiders; make the most of every opportunity. Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone. Colossians 4:5–6
As a pastor I had built-in opportunities. In almost every sermon I gave I included an invitation to become a Jesus follower. Outside of church I used a method taught by William Fay called "Share Jesus Without Fear." It explains a simple way to talk about Jesus. I've used it many times with good success. I highly recommend it.
In America there are factors that make Christians hesitant to talk about Jesus.
An easy, but important step is to pray.
Then he said to his disciples, “The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few. Ask the Lord of the harvest, therefore, to send out workers into his harvest field.” Matthew 9:37–38
Then echo Isaiah's response, "Here I am, send me."


1 comment:
Thanks for sharing the name of that book, and the link.
Post a Comment