Don't forget!

 

I find it amazing that the Israelites so quickly forgot all the miracles that God did to deliver them out of slavery in Egypt and to sustain them in the desert. 

They forgot what he had done, the wonders he had shown them. Psalm 78:11

Then they believed his promises and sang his praise. But they soon forgot what he had done and did not wait for his plan to unfold. Psalm 106:12–13

Then there came a time when my own forgetfulness was revealed to me. I kept a prayer journal to record answers to prayer that God gave us. There was a time when God answered in a big way. The request involved a number of things requiring a large sum of money, a looming deadline and other factors. When God answered all that was needed, I was blown away and excitingly wrote about it in my journal!

About a year later I was reading through the journal and when I got to that request I was amazed that just a year later I had totally forgotten all about it! I had to confess my lack of gratitude and thank God again for his goodness. It also confirmed the need to record things to help me remember how God has blessed me.

For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through the endurance taught in the Scriptures and the encouragement they provide we might have hope. Romans 15:4

I encourage you to have some system of recording how God has blessed you, so that later you'll have a way to count your blessings and renew your gratitude to Him. 

The Bible warns us not to forget.

When the LORD your God brings you into the land he swore to your fathers, to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, to give you—a land with large, flourishing cities you did not build, houses filled with all kinds of good things you did not provide, wells you did not dig, and vineyards and olive groves you did not plant—then when you eat and are satisfied, be careful that you do not forget the LORD, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery. Deuteronomy 6:10–12

Bless the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits. 
Psalm 103:2 

Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like someone who looks at his face in a mirror and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like. But whoever looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues in it—not forgetting what they have heard, but doing it—they will be blessed in what they do. James 1:23–25

Peter commands us to grow in our faith continually. 

For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love.

For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. But whoever does not have them is nearsighted and blind, forgetting that they have been cleansed from their past sins2 Peter 1:5–9

I can't imagine forgetting how God cleansed my sin, but Peter warns this can happen.

Songs are a great way to remember

Give praise to the LORD, proclaim his name; make known among the nations what he has done. Sing to him, sing praise to him; tell of all his wonderful acts... Remember the wonders he has done, his miracles, and the judgments he pronounced. Psalm 105:1–5

Memorizing is a great way to remember

I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you. Psalm 119:11

These commandments that I give you today are to be on your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. Write them on the doorframes of your houses and on your gates. Deuteronomy 6:6–9

Meditating is a great way to remember

(This is not eastern meditation which tries to empty the mind. It is biblical meditation which tries to fill your mind with God's word.)

Keep this Book of the Law always on your lips; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful. Joshua 1:8

I remember the days of long ago; I meditate on all your works and consider what your hands have done. Psalm 143:5

Blessed is the one... whose delight is in the law of the LORD, and who meditates on his law day and night. That person is like a tree planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither— whatever they do prospers. Psalm 1:1–3

Sharing with others what God has done for you is another way to remember.

Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good; his love endures forever. Let the redeemed of the LORD tell their storyPsalm 107:1–2

Let the message of Christ dwell among you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom through psalms, hymns, and songs from the Spirit, singing to God with gratitude in your hearts. Colossians 3:16

One generation commends your works to another; they tell of your mighty acts. They speak of the glorious splendor of your majesty— and I will meditate on your wonderful works. They tell of the power of your awesome works— and I will proclaim your great deeds. Psalm 145:4–7

If you don't have one now, create some system of recording God's blessings to remember them, so you'll have continuing evidence of His goodness. 



No comments: