
Mom came to visit us in Japan when we were missionaries there. I was pastoring Kurume Bible Fellowship, an international church in Tokyo. Our suburb was crowded with narrow streets that didn't go straight very long. Getting around was like working your way through a maze.
Riding in a car is very traumatic for visitors from America. It's a series of near misses coming constantly within inches of objects on the side of the road, oncoming cars, bicyclists, who are weaving in and out of traffic (and who legally have the right-of-way). There are also many pedestrians you must share the road with. Even a short trip can build up a great deal of tension.
Not understanding Japanese, Mom was daily immersed in unintelligible conversations and unreadable signs and words. She did her best to stay engaged but after a few days she was worn out physically and mentally. On top of all that she was also dealing with jet lag.
After about three days of activity, we were sitting in our living room. We could see the fatigue on Mom's face. With a puzzled look on her face she said to us, "Now, tell me again, what does 'Kemosabe' mean"? We could not hold back our laughter. We felt bad for Mom knowing it had been a rough few days for her. Kemosabe does sound like it could be Japanese, but she had obviously confused it with Tonto's favorite name for the Lone Ranger.
The first few times I started to explain I broke down in laughter again. Mom had a great sense of humor and was soon laughing with us.
Most of us have had times that were/are stressful. If it continues, fatigue can set in and it becomes hard to think straight. It can also lead to discouragement or depression. At such times it's always wonderful to have family or close friends who can encourage you, even make you laugh.
A friend loves at all times, and a brother is born for a difficult time. Proverbs 17:17 (HCSB)
Carry each other’s burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ. Galatians 6:2
May your unfailing love be my comfort. Psalm 119:76
So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. Isaiah 41:10
When doubts filled my mind, your comfort gave me renewed hope and cheer. Psalm 94:19 (NLT)
“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.
Matthew 11:28–29
We need to follow his example and be the kind of person that others feel welcome to come to when encouragement is needed.
I think many Christians are “dying on the vine” for lack of encouragement from other believers. Proverbs 15:23 says, “A man has joy in an apt answer, And how delightful is a timely word.”…Chuck Swindoll
More people fail for lack of encouragement than for any other reason. Lena Horne
These final verses clearly express the give and take of comfort.
Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God. 2 Corinthians 1:3–4
Receive God's comfort by faith and pray that the Holy Spirit will guide you to those you can share that comfort.
1 comment:
Just thinking of that old show made me smile. I think 'Kemosabe' meant something like a 'faithful friend'? so her word mistake highlights the whole meaning of what you are talking about - being there for others and offering encouragement. I like that:)
Post a Comment